Thursday, October 26, 2006

[Gasp!] Nonfiction!

The Tao of Pooh, by Benjamin Hoff. This book was recommended by a friend. The author does a good job of presenting his ideas using familiar characters. As I am new to Eastern philosophy, this book is a good introduction: easy to read and well organized, it is a quick read of 5 hours or less, depending on your reading speed. I would have liked more detail from the author in some sections, but, since one of the ideas within Taoism is to rely less on book-learning, my complaint is invalid. Taoism is not a religion necessarily, but more a life view; it can stand by itself but would be compatible with other deity-focused religions. Can you have a sequel to a work of nonfiction, or is it called something else? Either way, The Te of Piglet is on my library shelf. Hurray for your public library. Having read this, I will have to go back now and read The House at Pooh Corner from a new perspective.

No comments: