Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Nothing Calls to Me

Exiles: Volume I: The Ruins of Ambrai, by Melanie Rawn. I'm quitting this one after 91 pages, because I have no idea what is going on. The main characters seem good and I'm interested in the made-up society, but the author does a terrible job of conveying a sense of time. Other authors have similar problems, and it can be frustrating but not detrimental. In this case however, the author tries to add history and background into the story, but doesn't give any times, dates, or other specifics to help the reader construct a timeline. Because several of the characters have very similar names, it is even easier to mix up what is going on. I, Mona Lisa: a Novel, by Jeanne Kalogridis. I heard excellent things about this book, and I enjoyed the writing style, but stopped after 43 pages, because there was too much detail. I'd like to take it up again some time, but wasn't in the mood the other day to keep politics and 15 politicians in order in me 'ead. Endymion Spring, by Matthew Skelton. I liked the characters, and was interested in the plot, but the writing was terrible. Normally, I will put up with it, but this author needs a dictionary. I like authors who try to broaden readers' vocabulary, but this author shouldn't try to use words he doesn't actually know.

No comments: