Friday, January 05, 2007

The World Enough and Time

The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. When a book is crappy, I can enumerate each sin and type for paragraphs, but I can't describe the greatness of a book. I'd heard good things about this book, but it was better than I would ever expect. This is one I'm going to buy, and read every year. Even though the situations were bizarre, the characters were so realistic. They were easy to care about. The author does a great job writing, so casually yet not sloppily. The writing reminded me a bit of High Fidelity, but it's been a while since I read that one and I'm afraid I'm misremembering. Something I loved is that one of the main characters is a librarian and the author occasionally mentions what he's reading. It's great, because I have no idea what other people read, what other people buy to put on their bookshelves or take on the bus or vacation.

No comments: