Tuesday, March 13, 2007

(I don't feel like making a title today.)

(I am at the library, and some child-- or, I would assume a child-- has drawn all over the screen. *sigh* Got any Windex?) Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett. This is one of those Discworld books that, while still an excellent story, is not based in satire. This makes me disappointed a bit. Of course, after 20 novels, Mr. Pratchett might have any number of reasons to take it easy with the last few books, but I feel like he is giving in the pressures of his audience to simply write something. I don't want to be a member of such an audience! In the Company of the Courtesan, by Sarah Dunant. I have read several books like this, in which the author takes a time or subject often romanticized and tries to make it less idealized by being crude. The story, however likely or unlikely, was itself a romanticism of an historical incident, so it's like she is on both sides-- to idealize, and to make realistic. I don't think I liked it very much. It certainly ended very abruptly, without as much resolution as I had hoped. Eric, by Terry Pratchett. Ah, one of the earlier works, which really does make fun of something. Of course, it might have been funnier if I had actually been forced to read Faust at one point. Still, there were some excellent lines.

No comments: