Friday, May 25, 2007

On With the Show.

Again, weeding out from my own collection.

The Philadelphia Adventure, by Lloyd Alexander. I'm glad I'm done with these. I cannot recommend them.

Keeper of the Stone, by Margaret Allan. After 30 pages, I quit and stashed this in the lending library, thus deeming it not worthy of my shelf space. It is set in that Clan of the Cave Bear era, but is written with very modern language and little historical detail; it doesn't feel like historical fiction at all, and I wouldn't even like the author's writing style for a more modern setting.

Daughter of Fortune, by Isabel Allende. This story took a while to get going, but I ended up rather liking it. The author has some bad trends in her writing that she could fix, specifically commas, semicolons, and when it would be a good idea to start a new paragraph, but the story is pretty good. I could have used several more chapters at the end, but the story finishes rather abruptly and I guess we are supposed to assume a happily-ever-after.

Core: A Romance., by Kassten Alonso. This may turn out to be an interesting story, but the lack of basic punctuation (used purposefully by the author) really throws off my ability to understand what's going on. To the lending library!

No comments: