Wednesday, December 26, 2007

nothing special enough to recommend

Undead and Unappreciated, by MaryJanice Davidson
and
Undead and Unreturnable, by MaryJanice Davidson. I have nothing to add at this time.

Undead and Unpopular, by MaryJanice Davidson. There is a little note in the front that mentions that there is a short story, published in a short story collection, that comes before this book. It is fortunate for me that I had read said short story before, and that I vaguely remembered enough of it to make sense of the happenings. These books have those recaps for minor characters and previous plots, which I found annoying and skipped through mostly. I think the author copies and pastes with some of them. I don't like plot recaps in sequels any way: if you can't remember the big stuff, read the whole thing again. Authors should not include the Cliff Notes versions to previous works. These annoying sum-ups weren't very helpful, however, in the case of the short story, which was crucial to a few of the characters.
What's up with having a relevant story in another publication anyway? I think it's sneaky and I disapprove-- if it didn't warrant being in the book, axe it all together. She at least could have included it in the front of the book.

The Floating Island, by Elizabeth Haydon. There isn't anything wrong with this; I just wasn't able to get into it, even after a few chapters.

Knocked Out by my Nunga-Nungas, by Louise Rennison. This one is the same as the last. I will read one more and hope for improvement, like some character growth.

The Bone Mender's Choice, by Holly Bennett. After about a quarter of the book, I quit reading, because we were still being introduced to new characters, and very few of them were connected at all. It is a very short, very quick chapter book, and the characters really all need to be established sooner, and you can hardly really discuss all the characters and have plots and resolutions for so many in so short a space.

No comments: