Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Transit.

Hidden Talents, by David Lubar. I read Ms. Yingling's review and thought it sounded interesting, so I checked it out from my library. The story is pretty good for the intended audience, and I very much liked the paraphernalia included between chapters: it gave the story a little more depth, a little peek into the characters in addition to the regular narration and dialogue. I did think that the main character's "talent," as well as his relationship with his family-- particularly his father-- could have been fleshed out better; we got a better picture of the other characters, I felt. The Wizard Heir, by Cinda Williams Chima. I got about 140 pages in and then had to return this to MCPL so I could move. I have it on hold here at my new libary though, and intend to finish it. Readers who like the idea of the whole Harry Potter thing but want more realism might like these (there are three now: The Warrior Heir first, this one, and now The Dragon Heir). Characters in this series use both magic and technology instead of living in an Amish-like denial of everthing electronic.

No comments: