Tuesday, September 20, 2011

(nonfiction addendum)

The nonfiction from 6th grade booktalks:


Ancient Medical Technology: From Herbs to Scalpels, by Michael and Mary B. Woods (AR: not yet: new book).  Interesting, certainly readable and informative.  

Can I See Your ID? True Stories of False Identities, by Chris Barton (3).  I'm not sold on the 2nd-person writing, but definitely good stories and the author does a good job getting into the heads of the impersonators, in most cases.

I Can't Keep My Own Secrets, by Smith Magazine (0).  I keep reusing this one, too, because there's so much in here to love.  I especially love the story of how it all got started.

Short: Walking Tall When You're Not Tall At All, by John Schwartz (4).  Not just for short people!  True, some of us never got over growing half an inch in sixth grade and then stopping for ever.  Some of us even have to buy Hannah Montana shoes in the children's department.  This had a lot of insight into both society and also manufacturing and technology.  I put it in my list of "Books Everyone Can Learn From" along with Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat, which it looks like I actually forgot to blog about.

Simpsons Futurama Crossover Crisis, by Sofia Gutierrez (0).  Meh.  Now the kids know we have Graphic Novels, right?

Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol 1-2, by Stephenie Meyer (1, 1).  I haven't (and refuse to) read Twilight, but I have peeked through here and I do like the illustrator's use of color.

No comments: