Sunday, March 25, 2012

series notes.

I suddenly realized I haven't posted in weeks.  eep!  I guess I didn't feel like I had much to say.


Timeless, by Gail Carriger.  I need to re-read the series again.  The undercurrents and conspiracies left me a little adrift.  I didn't approach this as a series that would actually require attention, which was the wrong approach.

Death of a Cad, Death of an Outsider, Death of a Perfect Wife, Death of a Hussy, by M.C. Beaton.   These are picking up a little, happily.  With each novel after ...a Cad, the author breaks away a little bit more from the terrible stereotypes of mystery novels.  It is taking quite a while, but we are getting to know at least a few of the main characters. 

People of the Wolf by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear.  I know this is a really popular series.  I feel like I might be able to give the next novel a go.  There were way too many people, and it's never clear at the start of a chapter or section which group we will be focusing on.  This made it difficult for me.  I think because there were so many characters, they all were fairly shallow and poorly-fleshed.  They all react like teenagers, only in emotional extremes.
There was a modern-day-setting set-up at the beginning of the book, which was totally unrelated to the actual happenings in the book. 
I also feel opposed to the mysticism in the book, but I don't have a firm reason. 
It's not very well written, but I am, despite myself, interested to see where the story might go.

No comments: