Sunday, February 17, 2013

I was going back through my archives looking for something, I don't know what, and blogger told me this post here at 289 views.  289 page views! Why?  Maybe it returns for the giraffe knitting pattern somehow? Wait, let me google it...although the original flicker images for the original pattern come up for a "knit giraffe" search, my image doesn't, or do any of those return for "giraffe amigurumi."  It's not linked from my ravelry page. I can't think of why.  289!

anyway.

A Midsummer Tights Dream by Louise Rennison.  In another place in my life I would have been all over this.  But I'm just not into it, and that is through no fault of the book.

Surviving the Island of Grace by Leslie Leyland Fields.  I only made it to page 23.  While the story seems like it would be interesting, it isn't picking up.  I'm not terribly interested in fishing, it turns out, and already the story can't tell where inside the story it wants to begin.  After the third false start, I quit.

Also, there are some pen drawings scattered about.  They... aren't to my taste.

Black Books, season 2, with Dylan Moran.  These are not for everyone.  And I don't think alcoholism is funny.  But I do think it's funny that the popular opinion is that any job related to books (book-store-owning or librarying, etc.) would inevitably be easy.  That's probably why used book stores are the small business with the highest failure rate.

Stephen Fry in American: Fifty States and the Man Who Set Out to See them All, by Stephen Fry.  I thought I liked this guy.  I thought this would be fun.  I mean, one of the reasons I like sci-fi novels is because they examine our culture from the outside. I anticipated this would be similar in a way.  And some parts were; I didn't know we Americans have an abnormal attachment to cinnamon.  But I couldn't finish the book-- mainly because the author sounded so pretentious all the time.  Sorry, Stephen.  I actually made it all the way through to pg. 208, then skipped ahead to read the Washington entry.  It's actually one of the longer entries but, big surprise, doesn't leave the I-5 corridor.

Don't buy for the library, not worth the money.

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, by Lauren Willing.  I have been putting this off for years.  I ought not have done so.  It turned out to be a little bit silly, with some quick-we-are-running-out-of-pages! plot jumps, but on the whole very fun. And there's a whole fleet of them!

No comments: