Monday, May 06, 2013

fiction gluttony.

I was so glad to be done with non-required reading that I tore through half a dozen books.  Now I've settled down a bit.

His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade, Black Powder War, Empire of Ivory, Victory of Eagles, Tongues of Serpents, and Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik.  Note to self: new book (Blood of Tyrants) out in August.  I skimmed through portions of the first two books looking for descriptions of the aviator uniforms; for National Library Week in April, the staff dressed as book characters for two days.  The first day, I was Jane Roland.  I couldn't find a green coat, but I think the ensemble came off rather well.

I went back and read the series, and I managed to keep myself reading slowly.  It was a very enjoyable experience.  I'm excited for the next book to come out this summer.

Previously when I've read the series, I always felt let down after book three or so.  I didn't feel that way this time.  I do feel it's a little bit ridiculous how these characters manage to go over the whole world.  I realize books are written about extraordinary people, but it seems a wee bit forced.

Gulp by Mary Roach.  613.2  A new book by Mary Roach?  Yes, please!  Great, amazing, weird, as always. 

No comments: