Sunday, May 26, 2013

fiction, nonfiction, and other

Dodger by Terry Pratchett.  Another Pratchett novel that's not Discworld? Fortunately, this is more the quality of Nation than The Long Earth.  Recommended, just don't get the characters confused with Discworld ones.

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach.  129.  I was a little reticent to try pre-Stiff works, as I remember not particularly enjoying Bonk, the first Roach book I read.  This was very interested and quite like Stiff and Gulp, even if there were a few things that showed it was an earlier writing style (such as a tendency to use italics for emphasis).

I have recently read a short book by a local author.  It's a self-published work.  I am withholding the title at this time, as it may not be the final version. Here's the review I shared with the author:

[Title] sets up a story between the Magpies and the Robins, set along a tributary of the Snake River in southeastern Washington State.  The book's main characters and their choices will give young readers much to reflect on.  Although Leader and the other birds are simple characters, Stueckle gives them many human characteristics.

The above is true, and I'm happy for you to use it how you wish...

In reading the book, I was very distracted by words that were used almost correctly, especially the two-dollar words that would otherwise make this a gem for precocious readers. It also seemed that sometimes information was repeated, other information was later contradicted, and in some parts there were gaps.  There is definitely good work in here, and some more editing could result in a really great piece of work.

The exciting part is that the author has given me a paper copy (I reviewed the PDF on my Nook) for further edits!  This brings the total number of books I've edited up to about 3.  If the book ever becomes well-known, I'll let you know.

No comments: