Thursday, August 15, 2013

still summer for another 5-ish weeks.

Babel No More: The Search for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners by Michael Erard.  126/269.  Did not finish.  From the descriptions I'd read, I expected a little more information about the brain, maybe psychology, that sort of thing.  It was instead a lot of biographical information, mostly about one person.  Not what I hoped for.

Saga, Volume One by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.  So, I am not normally a big graphic novel reader.  I have a hard time not over-focusing on the text.  This is the right kind of graphic novel for me-- text matches pictures, I'm able to read both.  I immediately ordered Volume Two, which came in a shipment earlier this week.  Squee!  I am number one on the list.

Orange is the New Black with Taylor Schilling.  This series is definitely not for everyone.  I had seen previews but wasn't particularly interested, until three of my librarian friends, scattered around the country, all ran through the episodes in a matter of days.  Then I did, too.  I was sleep deprived all week.
In the first part of the season, I think everyone can identify with Piper: trying really hard to do the right thing but always digging yourself deeper; not understanding the social rules.  Were you never a teenager?  The second part of the season, I was pretty frustrated with Piper.  Step up, stop making bad choices, tell the truth, and shut up.  But all of the other characters were carrying the show by this point.  I'm very excited for the next season. I ordered the book as well.

Pilates for Wimps: Total Fitness for the Partially Motivated by Goldhil Home Media International... apparently.  That's what the catalog says anyway.  I did a pilates class through our parks and rec.  I felt like the class was pretty advanced.  This DVD had the same level of intensity, but it also showed adaptations.  The quality of the workout, whether you do the intense or supported version, is good.  I was annoyed that the cheerleader showing the intense version was in the foreground, and the person showing the modified version was a) in the back, and b) in the "fat friend" category.  That lady was fit, she just wasn't a size 2.  Bad choice, Goldhil.

Necessary Ill by Deb Taber.  There was an interesting concept in here, but there were too many questions not addressed.  How did the underground group organize?  Why exactly are they so much more intelligent than the others?  How did they discover or develop some of their abilities?
There were also some plot directions I thought would have made more sense or should have at least been addressed.  Good-ish.

The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson.  The mystery in here was interesting-- I read the whole thing and didn't quite have it all figured out.  It didn't quite jive with me for some other reason, though, and I will have no problem not picking up the next book.  Good mystery spin-off.


2 comments:

coffeehound said...

Hi, this is Michael Erard, the author of Babel No More. If you'd read longer, you would have found an entire section about the brain and language learning, starting on page 148.

sarah said...

thanks, michael. i read half the book, and that half seemed very repetitive. perhaps it would have been good to include some of the interesting information earlier. thanks!