Tuesday, March 25, 2014

shame on me.

Up in Smoke by Katie MacAlister.  I don't have time to read all the books I need to judge, but I eked out time for a book for me!  I don't feel too bad, since it's the first since late January that I've chosen for myself.  I'm picking a much smaller category nest year!
Nothing new in this series installment, I look forward to more.

Gambit of the Glass Crowns by Ethan Risso.  (Stero)Typical fantasy writing style, no surprises there.  Beginning is very good, engaging, wish I had more time to read more of the title.  Not a top-ten considering the rest of the category, but could be a top-ten within a fantasy sub-group.

Chiral Mad 2: Anthology of Psychological Horror, edited by Michael Bailey.  Again, anthologies make it hard to judge each author, since we have to consider the work as a whole.  Overall, this was slightly sub-par in writing, not as tense or horrifying as anticipated.  Some short stories very good, emotionally engaging; some really not.

The Shadow Constant by AJ Scudiere.  Too heavy-handed in the beginning, forcing the main character's personality and difficulties: more caricature than character; don't lean so heavily on stereotypes for a more engaging character.  This calms down a bit, though, and main character is very interesting (although other characters always seem a bit shallow).
Writing is overall very good, just a couple places of weirdness (fight scene written in passive voice, for example).  Great book.

Tidal Pools by Lawrence Thackston.  Good, very near top-ten if not actually among the favored.  I wish I had time to savor it. 
Kind of a few too many characters for me, but that isn't a barrier for all readers.
Excellent first chapter.

Imaginary Flatulence by Ethan S. Edgerly.  What charming titles and section headers.
Writing is ok, style is pretty unique, main character is likeable enough.  Narrator/fictional writer is a bit dense and assumes the reader is more so.
Everything is fine, but that's about it.  There isn't much to care about.
The short stories are a little more engaging.

No comments: