Monday, August 10, 2015

summer-long post.

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent, actually by Marie Brennan. I got not very far at all.  The author was going for (what we image is) an historic feel, but missed the target style.

Juliet's Nurse by Lois Leveen.  I got this last September from a regional author at the tradeshow.  She was very nice, which made me want to read the book, and also made me reticent to do so: she was so nice; what if I really dislike the book?  So I began to read this very slowly. 

The first part of the book is very good. The character has a realistic voice and the author does a good job of creating realistic scenarios that explain odd phrases or scenes in the play. Later, the book jumps to the same time as the play. This portion doesn't read as smoothly. The author tries to interweave the lines with the main character's narration but it doesn't quite jive. I stopped shortly after the jump forward in time.

The Silver Witch by Paula Brackston.  I started this a long time ago and immediately put it down.  Something about the writing style was all wrong (although I no longer remember specifically what).

The Poisoning Angel by Jean Teule.  I can't tell where this is going.  It's totally not gripping me and I'm not motivated to give it more than a handful of pages.

Death Masks and Blood Rites and Dead Beat and Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher.  Many parts of these books are very repetitive: characters and settings are we introduced in every book. It would probably be OK for someone to pick this series up anywhere in the line.

The Intercept by Dick Wolf.  I have seriously check this book out at least four times. I really wanted to read it but I was afraid it wouldn't be very good-TV writing does not guarantee that book writing.

There were some parts of the book that were a little jerky; perhaps a stronger editor could've helped with that. I'll be looking for book two right away.

Hinterland with Richard Harrington.  This is really dark. Coming off of  Death in Paradise, I wasn't expecting something so purposely gory.  It's also really odd format: the episodes are each like an hour and 20 long.

No comments: