Tuesday, October 13, 2015

assorted nonfictions.

The Making of Home: The 500-Year Story of How Our Houses Became Our Homes by Judith Flanders.  In the (admittedly unlikely) event that I pick this back up, I'm on page 88.  This is interesting and enjoyable and overdue and someone else has a hold.  The odds of me checking it out again are low because I constantly have too many things to read and should not at all be attributed to the quality of this book.

The one thing that I dislike is that the illustrative photos are clumped in glossy photo sections instead of being near the text, and the pictures are not even in order.  That annoys me a fair bit.

Knits for Boys: 27 Patterns for Little Men + Grow-with-Me Tips and Tricks by Kate Oates.  Warning; warning.  Danger; danger.  This book contains errors.  After I started my pattern, noticed things were asymmetrical, got confused, looked online, and found corrections for (so far) 6 of the 27 patterns in this book, I talked to my nonfiction selector and our copy of the book has been weeded.  It's really stupid, because the mistakes seem small enough, but if you are new to knitting it would be unclear what to do instead, and even if you are not-new to knitting, it takes a couple rows before you (I) realize(d) something is off.

No comments: