Thursday, July 21, 2016

Re(ad)treat: Hour 7

I had just sat down to dinner (one-pot Mac n cheese made over the one-burner propane stove, turned out quite well) when I heard rain drops patter on the canopy.  So this

quickly became this
It's raining a bit more earnestly now, drumming on the tent. A breeze would be very nice at this point.

Archetype by M.D. Waters.  I started this yesterday but was only 50 pages in.  Done now!  

This takes place in a futuristic/alternate-present dystopian world that is unfortunately not fully explored.  For the first two thirds of the book, it's very unclear what is going on and how the characters are connected. This is probably supposed to be because the main character herself is unclear on these points, so the reader can make the journey with her.  However, giving the reader more information would have allowed more focus on the character's development. The story would've been less a mystery and more about her self-discovery.  The ending was a bit rushed, but ok.  Three and a half stars.

Fry's English delight, series 4, with Stephen Fry.  (428.1)  This was my audiobook for today's drive and camp set up. I have definitely listen to at least part of this before, although I don't think I finished.  Short and interesting, always good for a solo drive.

No comments: