Tuesday, August 09, 2016

an assortment of H labels

Inside out with Amy Poehler.  I had heard this was excellent, but I hear a lot of good things about a lot of movies and books and, on those occassions I read/watch, I usually wonder what the reviewer was on.  But this movie demanded to be watched recently: someone used a scene as an example in conversation and included a recommendation.  Later that same day, I was shelving and this appeared in my hand, so I checked it out and took it home.  Within 48 hours, before I could watch it (because of busy outdoor summer plans), my brother-in-law, who goes through movies the way I go through books, said he watched it for the first time recently and said it was excellent.  And this is a guy who usually likes silent '50s Italian films.  So I finally watched it.

It is excellent.  I laughed.  I cried.  I recommend it.

I do wonder what it signifies that Sadness is in charge of the mom's console, and that all the emotions inside the dad have Anger's body shape.

All the things we never knew by Sheila Hamilton.  I read this in preparation for an author visit which was unfortunately cancelled due to family illness.  I saw this author at the PNBA last year and I'm excited to host her whenever she can make it out to the Peninsula.

The book is approachable and understandable.  Relatable.  The author writes about her family experience, and between each chapter is a short section-- a page or two, three at the very most-- that is more researchy: it has statistics or support group resources or some other information.  The format works very well, because it allows her to tell her story without trying to weave in facts which she wants to include but didn't know at the time.

This book can be highly recommended to just about everyone.

Rosalie Lightning: A graphic memoir by Tom Hart.  This is why lists are dangerous.  "20 best graphic novels you need to read."  OK!  I'll place my hold!  Maybe more like "20 highly reviewed graphic novels which get your right in the feels."  This kind of thing is also where my typical pull-stuff-off-the-shelves based on its cover or the author name or other completely random reason *without knowing a blasted thing about it* turns out to be a bad policy.

This is dramatic and moving and sad.  There were a few problems with the flow of the story-- it alternates between a before-time and the after-time, but it isn't always clearly labelled, which can be confusing.  It is hard to recommend, since that means suggesting one thinks the prospective reader might enjoy spending an hour choked up and clutching a tissue, but it is a very good book.

Hot dog taste test by Lisa Hanawalt.  What is this?  What am I looking at?  What fully-functional adult is so obsessed with toilet activities?

I have no idea what this is.  People with bird heads and half-dressed people as food.  If the author is trying to make some statement, I am not receiving.  The drawings aren't pleasant or funny or insightful.  Pass.

Stiff upper lip, Jeeves, with Michael Hordern and Richard Briers, from BBC Radio 4.  These radio dramatizations are generally fun to listen to, but this one in particular substituted quite a bit of the narration with sound effect and such, so I felt like I missed out a bit.  There were also a few problems where characters talked over each other, or over other sound effects, and it was not possible to hear what everyone was saying.  Still, quick and good for when I have to drive across the Peninsula alone.

When a child is born by Jodi Taylor.  This is labelled "a seasonal short story;" short is right.  I should probably say it's my fault for not checking the item's metadata before purchasing; I'm used to between-the-numbers installments being in the novella, 50-75 page range.  This is 19, four of which are cover page, also-by, etc., leaving 15 pages of story.  15.  Without exaggeration, it took me longer to input my new bank card into my Nook than it took me to read this.  I have heap big buyer's remorse.

No comments: