Thursday, March 23, 2017

check-check-check

Thunder Boy Jr. by Sherman Alexie and Yuyi Morales.   This picture book was coming up on a lot of lists and journals, what with being a local author. One more thing I can check off my 2017 to-do list: a children's book I did not read as a child.

This is cute and a nice picture book for all children.  I liked the illustration style.

A Bollywood affair by Sonali Dev.  This has been on my list for a long time, but I was disappointed.  It's a plain, poor romance novel, just with international flair: the characters have baggage, they lie to each other, they realize they should tell the truth and choose not to, and then they reconcile as if there was never a problem.

Jeeves in the offing by P.G. Wodehouse, read by Frederick Davidson.  This reader is super annoying.  The vote to quit before the end of the first chapter was unanimous.

We are all stardust: Scientists who shaped our world talk about their work, their lives, and what they still want to know; conversations with Stefan Klein; translated by Ross Benjamin; read by various narrators.  Listened to this audiobook mostly while exercising.  Recommended to a coworker.  Short segements on a wide array of topics so I enjoyed it: it's not an exhaustive examination on any one thing, making it more than average reader could or would want.  Appropriate for listeners who have already read a little bit on various science topics; not for people who haven't done anything since run-of-the-mill HS science class.

I listened to this last book--and am inside a few others-- through the hoopla app.  It has some pretty big problems: when I re-download a book that has expired, I have to delete my copy and download again... and then restart my phone to get it to recognize and play.  There was also some funny hiccup where audiobooks paused themselves, even though no other applications were open on my device.  I'm downloading an app update, so I really hope these are going to be fixed. Otherwise, I'll have to do something horrible, like contact hoopla directly.  *cringe*

No comments: