Thursday, July 20, 2017

one review

a lonely review to post so I can get it onto NetGalley. 

Parent deleted: A mother's fight for her right to parent by Michelle Darne.  Fully a third of the way through the book, what we hear about the most is the author's work history and work life.  I guess she's trying to show the kind of person she is?  It's hard to believe there will be a meaningful message; I mean, we hear more about her assistant than we do about her spouse.  It also seems like this is for a certain audience, for people who share more life experiences with the author.  I'm a 30-something professional woman, but I live in a town of less than 20,000 and work 37.5 hours per week.  I'm not in the same place as a 30-something professional woman who lives in New York City and works 16-hour days.  I'm married and have a child, but I'm not very brown, I've never been divorced, and I'm not a lesbian.  The author doesn't do anything to help people understand where she's coming from; she doesn't help the reader empathize much either, talking mainly about the actions she undertook to move her career forward.

No comments: