Friday, September 08, 2017

autumn has arrived.

Rain two days in a row: fall comes once again to the North Olympic Peninsula.  Dust off your wellies.

Love and capes: Wake up where you are and Love and capes: What to expect by Thomas Zahler.  I'd like more like these, please.

The library at the edge of the world by Felicity Hayes-McCoy.  I nearly put this down multiple times.  I cannot say it is a good book.  The main character is not exactly likable for the majority of the book, nor is she particularly sympathetic.  Several of the other important characters are difficult to like; the author may have been going for "realistically flawed" but missed the mark-- we get all their snark and sass and not enough of their vulnerability, which makes the difficult bits understandable and relatable.  There were far more errors than I expect in an ARC, which makes me dubious about the final product.

Victoria and Abdul by Shrabani Basu.  This is more interesting than I anticipated, but I have a lot on my plate right now and this is the least compelling.

The author does a good job of making all the detail understandable, but I did do a bit of skimming, especially in sections listing all the Indian provinces or government ministers-- names tend to be included with little to no introductory information.  Terms are dropped in with no explanations.  Best for readers already somewhat familiar with both English government history and Indian geography.

No comments: