Sunday, July 28, 2019

all the Salvatores

Sea of swords.  The same as always, mostly, although things are looking up for the next book, should it ever come out.  [what I mostly remember about these is how crappy and frustrating they are, so I don't know why I stuck with them so much.]]

Servant of the shard.  These characters provided an enjoyable break from the Drizzt gang.  Killers, rather unfeeling, allowed the author not to attempt any more poorly-written touchy-feely scenes.

Enteri wants to be a good guy, I think.  But the plausibility of the story wasn't there.

Siege of darkness.  This book actually seemed more like two; there are two separate stories.  So that kind of threw me off.  Other than that, there is nothing to say about this book.  Please see previous works for reactions to writing style, etc.

The silent blade.  I believe the author is fast running out of ideas.  Perhaps the next book will explain things, although I doubt it.  The two groups spend an entire book coming together, have a few good battles, and are off again.

I don't think I've mentioned that, every few chapters, there will be a little excerpt from some Drizzt diary or something.  I started skipping them a few books ago and it has done nothing to effect the story other than not forcing me to read these horrible insertions. 

And I would just like to note that no one.  ever.  dies.  (Except for a few bad guys and a large number of orcs.)  So there's no real feeling of danger.

Sojourn.  There should definitely be a fourth book.  While the beginning and the end of this were good, years were glossed over in the middle, years I would have liked to read about, and the end left off before the original book trilogy picks up.

Fred the Dwarf bothered me.  He was a funny character, but that was no dwarf.  Maybe a hobbit.  I really liked Dove's character, too, but she had a disappointingly small part.

Also, back to the time lapse, the character of Drizzt is very different between tis book and next.  We need to see his growing time.  He's Drizzt, obviously, but he's not the same as he will be.  I want to know how that happened.

The spine of the world.  What the crap.  I say again:  What.  the.  Crap.

This guy should not do romance or attempt anything remotely related.  And that separate story line?  Just no. 

And it's super annoying that no one ever dies.  Although Wulfgr should have, because first he was an ass, royally, and now he has messed everything up.

Starless night.  I'm getting tired of the constant battle scenes.  How about some traveling for a change?  And when the author tries to put in all that sentimental crap, it doesn't work: it's not his thing, although he certainly tries.  The other thing that bothers me are the exerts, little pieces of Drizzt's memoir, stuck in between chapters.  They don't add to the story.

Streams of silver.  This book was rather predictable, seeing as how it's basically a copy of The lord of the rings.  If I hadn't previously read TLotR, this might have been more exciting.

In this book, the author did a lot of heavy foreshadowing fragments at the end of every chapter.  They got real annoying, real quick.  There were also lots of bits that were horribly cliche.  Completely unoriginal.

The thousand orcs.  You'd think he'd run out of books sooner or later, but it looks like this series will drag on for a while yet.  This book is the same as all the others; everything is the same.  The author could do to change his writing style a bit, for some variety, if the plot are going to be so monotonous.

No comments: