Monday, December 04, 2006

Random-ish

Moon Called, by Patricia Briggs. I liked this story well enough, but the characters and writing style were painfully similar to other authors in this genre (see Charlaine Harris and Kelley Armstrong). It is actually not a bad book, but felt unoriginal to me because of my previous readings.

Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library, by Eth Clifford. I saw this title while wandering around the children's section at NPL and vaguely remembered reading it as a child. Thankfully, juvenile fiction has come a long way; I could recommend this book for neither children nor adults. The characters are dull, and not especially realistic. Their adventures could be exciting, if they were presented differently. With kids' books like this, it's no wonder so many people don't like reading.  

The Last Hero: a Discworld Fable, by Terry Pratchett; illustrated by Paul Kidby. This is a picture book, but it isn't for children. It is a short story, with art. I really love the pictures; they are so colorful. This isn't a book you can read without having a grip of the characters from Ank-Morpork. The author assumes you are a big fan, so doesn't go in to background detail.  

Darwinia: a Novel of a Very Different Twentieth Century, by Robert Charles Wilson. None of the books I was waiting for were in at the library, so I pulled this one truly at random. I thought it would be pretty crappy, but it's actually quite good. It was written fairly recently (1998, I believe), but the author does a good job of copying a more timeless style, more like the time period he is writing about. The only problem with this, and it seems to afflict nearly every author who tries styles like this, is that this style isn't very good for conveying anything urgent. It's nice to read, but it can't carry the story the way other narrative styles can. I haven't finished yet, but am anxious to see what happens. I don't think you should use unnecessary bold in a title.

No comments: