Saturday, December 09, 2006

Further Thoughts

I published thoughts on Darwinia before actually finishing the book. Now, having read the whole thing, I must amend my evaluation. The first half of the book was very good. In the second half, however, the author tries to reveal a twist in reality. The idea is interesting, but poorly presented; the author fails to give and fully describe many specifics, making the second half feel vague and uncertain. The author also allows great gaps in time without specifically addressing them. It turns out the book is as crappy as I had originally feared. Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident, by Eoin Colfer. I like the characters in this series, which is why I will read the others. The author has the annoying bad habit of using fragments, however. More children's authors need to set better examples.

No comments: