Monday, May 26, 2008

a variety.

Swimming without a Net, by MaryJanice Davidson. Davidson's books are like vacations for my brain: each one, a day-at-the-beach-equivalent for my mind while my body is stuck in land-locked Bloomington. I can't recommend them for classroom usage, but if you're after mind-candy, you could do alot worse.

The Shamer's Daughter by Lene Kaaberbol. I felt that the writing was a bit above the level of the intended audience, but it was a pretty good book. I'll be checking out the sequel, just in case.

Taken by Edward Bloor. It seems odd to set up such a world so different yet not so distant in time: this book was published in 2007, and the story is set in 2035. The world is completely different, yet nothing is used to explain the differences; this is just how the world is in 28 years. That bothered me a bit. The lack of details made the story less real for me.

The Shelf Elf by Jackie Mims Hopkins; illustrated by Rebecca Thornburgh. cute pictures, bad book.

(A History of Celibacy by Elizabeth Abbott.  I only got 75 pages in before quitting. This book was surprisingly slow and felt very poorly organized.)

No comments: