Saturday, August 16, 2008

A YA Range.

Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox, by Eoin Colfer. There's very little that I can say about the Artemis Fowl books; the author does an excellent job of always remembering the closing quotation mark. Things happen in the books; they may even be said to be exciting. I was just reading over my previous posts and my opinion seems to have improved dramatically; I don't remember the author have glaring fragments all about the place, but my previous posts were a bit harsh. I don't feel like going back and reading the lot of them just to confirm my earlier feelings, so let's just say he's improved in that department. Or I've just become less obsessively picky.

Gem X, by Nicky Singer. I couldn't get into this one. The author jumps right into the story, but didn't take the time to set up the character in the futuristic-fantasy world, so I had a hard time empathizing and quit after only a few chapters.  

Lucas, by Kevin Brooks. I need to go back and read this one properly. I read it at super speed to get through it for a book group at the library, and didn't allow myself time to savor the scenes. The author knows his ocean; it feels just like home. Primarily a book with deep questions for older teens.

No comments: