Monday, July 27, 2009

What Read-a-thon?

Well, that didn't work out. I haven't had 12 straight hours of anything all weekend, except teens. I had very good intentions Friday, but my husband decided we should go out for wings and beers, which I knew would eat into my reading time, but we almost never do that, so ok. But I came home all liquored up and fell asleep before 10:30. I'm such an old lady. The Lock-in did go pretty well, and I did stay awake for the whole thing. I am a capture the flag traitor, but I'm not bad at DDR. I'm also available for parties. Anyway... The Last Olympian, by Rick Riordan. My praises and complaints remain the same. I find the books enjoyable, although I'm not sure how old the audience could be for this; I seriously doubt 16-year-old boys would be as interested as 12-year-olds. I know alot of girls are reading it (besides me). Despite my continued minor disappointment, this series is excellent for several reasons-- the research and inclusion of both major and minor Greek gods and other historical/mythological elements is well done and informative; the sentences are full (hurrah!); and the story does move along. I also really like how, although Percy is the center of the story and the fighting, because he's a son of the Big Three, he can't do anything without help from his friends, and in the end, (spoiler!) he isn't the one whose decision makes the difference. They are good books, but I'm glad the story's over; 5 books is just right to add depth to a series but not fall over into the realm of milking it for cash and fame. I haven't read any of Riordan's adult books, although they do look interesting, but I haven't been too impressed with the other children's series he's collaborated on. We only have a portion of his adult series-- I'll have to look into that.

No comments: