Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Friday!

Terra Incognita, by Ruth Downie. Number two in her Roman Empire series, I liked this book more than the first: the characters seem to be coming into themselves. I'm not sure about their historical accuracy, especially relating to classes and social interactions, but they are a fun read, if not as informative as I usually like my historical fiction. As usual, I 'd like more detail. There were some funny spots, a few witty lines that I really enjoyed, but not enough to write down. I wonder if the author is leaving out detail and wallowing in a little historical inaccuracy in order to make the book more appealing to the masses. I was surprised in the first book by how often the characters used words, phrases, or procedures you'd expect in a modern medical or crime drama. Although I'm no history scholar, I don't feel like that's accurate. Is Downie trying to get mystery fans by dressing up a regular crime story in a toga? I'm going to attempt a 12-hour read-a-thon tonight. We'll see how that goes. I'm helping out with the library's YA program La-La-La-Lock-in (Saturday night to Sunday morning, 12 hours of teens, caffeine, zombie tag, manga, and no sleeping allowed) so I'm going to stay up as late as possible tonight to try to ratchet my sleep schedule into something that won't have me taking power naps in my office at 5 am. I started the last Percy Jackson novel last night, so that will keep me interested if I can just keep my eyes open.

No comments: