Monday, October 12, 2009

pre-teen reads.

Abigail Iris: The One and Only, by Lisa Glatt and Suzanne Greenberg; illustrations by Joy Allen. ARC--Denver. This was quite a good book. Abigail Iris is a character many young girls will be able to identify with. I can't tell you how frequently I fantasized about being an only child. But Abigail Iris learns to see how lonely she would be without her family. I felt this book was just the right amount of challenging for young readers: a good mix of sentence lengths and structures, but tending towards short and simple, with a good lot of 50-cent-vocabulary words thrown in. There were some minor errors, typo type stuff, because this is an ARC, but I'm sure they've been fixed for the real deal. I hope so, anyway. (redacted; please see post.)

No comments: