Friday, September 09, 2011

also very old.

Crochet Chic: Haute Crochet Scarves, Hats, and Bags, by Francine Toukou.  I checked this out from the Kitsap County Public Library a month ago while on vacation, because I was trying to learn to crochet but had forgotten the book I checked out for that purpose.  What a joke!  These patterns are ok, a little advanced for me at the time, but not bad.  It's stupid because the models for shots with the examples of the patterns are ridiculous.  They are overly made-up and half of them are doing that duck-lip thing, or otherwise making I'm-an-unhappy-but-completely-gorgeous-model faces.  Granny squares are not sexy, so stop trying to sell them that way.

Eggs in Purgatory (A Cackleberry Club Mystery), by Laura Childs.  This was a paperback mystery I picked up at my library's booksale to read on the plane.  I've converted to used books for travel; that way, if I don't like it, I can just leave it and not have to lug it all over creation. 
This is probably a good book for cozy mystery fans, but I didn't like it.  The character is not very intelligent to start poking around in a dangerous situation.  That is what the professionals are for.  Unfortunately, the police officer in the book is a pretty one-dimensional character.  The book would have benefited alot if he had more depth and wasn't just a stereotype. 

No comments: