Thursday, December 13, 2012

snow, sun, snow, sun, hail, snow, sun

Y: The Last Man: Unmanned, by Brian K Vaughan, Pia Guerra, and Jose Marzan Jr..  This has been on my list for a long time; you know of my long-running love affair with post-apocalyptic novels.  I keep putting it off because I have a decidedly difficult time reading graphic novels.
I gave it a try the other day and read it right through.  The layout was great, a very nice amount of text versus images, not too many characters, drawings were consistent throughout; a very enjoyable graphic novel experience.  I have the next few in the series checked out, again just waiting for the right frame of mind to strike so I can read them.

Adam's Curse: The Science the Reveals our Genetic Destiny, by Bryan Sykes.  I must admit, I only made it to page 33; unlike the weather, this was exceedingly dry.

Creature Comforts and Creature Comforts: America DVDs, by Aardman Animations Ltd.  I actually had ("had") to watch these at work because someone challenged them.  They aren't rated and this was the root of the complaint.  It's not up to the library to impose ratings on materials not rated by the MPAA, it was on the Entertainment DVD shelf which is for all ages, and we encourage a parent's right to preview and oversee the media their children consume.
Now, these are hilarious and I'm glad we have them.  More people should watch them, including you.  The best thing for me was the amazing detail on the faces of the characters.  You've got to watch this attentively, the bigger the screen the better.

1 comment:

Ted Viveiros said...

Good post. Interesting title. Glad to hear that you don't always read a book all the way through. On the rare occasion I start a book, I feel compelled to read it all the way through no matter how boring or dry it is. Not sure why since I don't have the same desire if I am watching a boring movie.