Friday, May 05, 2017

2

Forbidden by Beverly Jenkins.  A coworker passed this on to me: it is RUSA's romance pick for their Reading List.  I didn't get very far.  Full of cliches, lazy sentence structure, and if it's anything close to historically accurate I'd be shocked.

I wouldn't give the list much credence: sci-fi honorable mention includes both Crosstalk and Time and time again, neither of which were particularly note-worthy.  There are much better options, RUSA.  Holding these books up as the "best genre books for the adult reader" only reinforces the idea that Genre Fiction = Poorly Written.  Putting out a list like this, of this quality, probably does more harm than good. 

Thirteenth child by Patricia C. Wrede.  It has been a long time since I read a YA novel-- although, since it seems the overall series will be more a coming-of-age story, I'm enjoying this more as an easy fantasy story.  Good world-building. I have the next on hold already. For fans of Karen Memory and maybe Alan Smale-- alternative U.S. expansion and history. 

The three-body problem by Cixin Liu; translated by Ken Liu.  I have read many wonderful reviews of this title and the series.  I tried really hard to like it but had to quit.  I am woefully uninformed on historical international affairs and it was difficult to follow who was who, and the jumpy writing style didn't help. 

Killfile by Christopher Farnsworth.  Light, fluffy, enjoyable, modern paranormal.  Would recommend. 

A twist in time by Julie McElwain.  Light, fluffy, enjoyable, but the author had lots of little sentences that weren't quite right.  Case in point, she confused "clamor" with "clamber."  Most little turns of phrase or sentence choices weren't bit enough errors to point to and shout about, but enough that I would suspect most readers would say there was something undeniably off about the writing.

No comments: