Tuesday, June 20, 2017

half-grabbed

Empire made: My search for an outlaw uncle who vanished in British India by Kief Hillsbery.  I read a fair amount of this eArc from NetGalley.  I probably could have gotten through more if the author stuck to one storyline.  I was mildly interested in his relative's experiences in India, but I found the interludes where he shares his own experiences in India in the 1970s to be distracting.  (At least in the parts I read) None of the more modern stuff includes any information that adds any great depth to the historical story.  Instead of adding modern insight onto what happened, it only breaks up the narrative flow.  Did not finish on purpose.

The PCOS diet plan: A natural approach to health for women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome by Hillary Wright.  This (or the part I read, I wasn't able to get very far) is a very good informative book-- the information is presented in a way that makes sense, not overly simplified, in an easy-to-read style.  I liked that it included a short history of the understanding of this health challenge, and that it makes clear that what works for one person might not be the magic bullet for a different person.  Highly recommended for public libraries.  Did not finish due to eArc expiration.

No comments: