Sunday, July 09, 2017

Books & Libations

Selected titles, attached wines, and with the notes I made to myself.  Here's the program.

The valley of the moon by Melanie Gideon, as colorful as the Rugosa Rosé.  I found the language well- and carefully-crafted, perhaps the most elegant of the books in this list.  The multiple narrators and multiple time periods will make this appealing to a wider range of readers.  While dealing with some difficult life issues, the book reads as delicate, the characters as alive, so I matched it with the versatile, light Rosé.  I have added this title to my own To-Read list.

The last bookaneer by Matthew Pearl, to read while drinking Sangiovese.  The language in this historical fiction has a pleasant period feel, and readers will like learning a bit about this historical footnote.  The Sangiovese is both savory and sunny so is a good match for this title, described as balanced.

Second life by Paul Griner, dark like the Cabernet Sauvignon.  I was stuck by this book’s lack of quotation marks—usually a flat-out book-slamming no-go for me, but it is amazingly combined with very wide margins to create a narrow, tight text column which hurries the eye down the page.  A unique reading experience!  Described as a “deliciously dark” read, it’s an obvious match for the darkest, savory red.

A borrowed man by Gene Wolfe, matched with the Tempranillo.  The wine’s notes include bright, flashy, and balanced; my notes for the book are elegant, lively, multilayered, and deceptively simple.  I have added this title to my own To-Read list.  I like, and think others will be interested in, how the story/world seem light but suspenseful.  I chose this as the “sci-fi that’s not a sci-fi”—yes, it’s set in a future time period where people have technology we don’t have today, but the book is about a person and a mystery and issues of legal identity—things everyone can understand.

Landline by Rainbow Rowell, to enjoy with Dolcetto.  This wine is light and easy-drinking, perfect for the “zippy, fun, fresh” New Adult-ish book which was described as being like listening to your best friend.  I’ve flipped through several Rainbow Rowell books and would personally like something with a little more elegance and a little more depth, but her fans are legion.

I had originally included Rosalie Lightning by Tom Hart, to pour over when Malbec is poured.  My original note: I have read this before.  I matched this book based largely on the wine’s description as “not too polished” which I thought a perfect complement to the dark, rough pencil-y sketches that make up this graphic novel.  Another reviewer described this book as raw, efficient, direct, and unmanipulated (this is from my second-hand note, I don’t have that review handy), which seemed both accurate for the book and comparable to the wine.

However, my reader requested a substitution.  Although she personally enjoyed the book, she didn't feel able to promote it to a large group of readers.  So we substituted with Dinner with Edward: The story of a remarkable friendship by Isabel Vincent, a memoir that reads a bit like A man called Ove

No comments: