Sunday, October 08, 2017

Re(ad)treat: Hour 41

I read these yesterday afternoon, after the rain left off and I got the fire going.

R.I.P.D. by Peter M. Lenovo, Lucas Marangon, and Randy Emberlin.  The illustrations are too cartoony for me taste.  My guess is they are like that on purpose to lighten the dark, gory subject.  The balance is off.  Interesting but not great, the world building is a bit clunky.

Bayou, vol. 1, by Jeremy Love.  Much darker and creepier than I was expecting from whatever review I scanned.  The coloring in the illustrations is very beautiful and I like how many textless cells there are, letting the illustrations carry more of the story.

Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.  I had hoped to finish it last night but didn't quite make it.  This is an interesting utopia and social commentary.

While many people think there would be less of it, an all-female society would surely have some crime and infighting.  To paint women as naturally flawless does just as much disservice as do the "popular" views represented by one of the characters.

The book would be considered dry by many readers-- not much action, mostly social commentary-- but is an interesting thought experiment.  Highly recommended for fans of classical literature and early books that inspired science fiction.


No comments: