Saturday, October 07, 2017

Re(ad)treat: Hour 25

Lords of the middle dark by Jack L. Chalker.  This is the series I was thinking of when I read the Well World series last year.

Although still clunky in several ways, the writing in this book is smoother than the earlier series.  It can still be choppy-- dialogue is either curt and modern or overly romanticized.  There is an insane amount of information to set up the universe and it's often clumsily handled, one character lecturing another.  But for a series launch, there is quite a bit of action.

I'm pretty sure I discovered this author on the Friends book sale self at the Silverdale branch of the Kitsap Regional Library.  I tended to pick up romances and sci-fi/fantasy because mass-market paperback's were half the price of hard covers. Many of the things I brought home, certainly including the autjor, are not wonderful examples of literature. The author tends to include scenes or opinions of his female characters that are not at all flattering.  I'm never sure if they represent a personal fantasy, simply the thinking at the time, or evidence something a little broken about him.

In camping adventures, my planned morning walk was thwarted by rain, which has also made my afternoon fire done nothing but sputter.  Two books in 24 hours doesn't seem very impressive; in addition to sleeping longer than originally planned, this book had tiny print.

No comments: