Friday, October 06, 2017

Re(ad)treat: Hour 6

St. Lucy's home for girls raised by wolves by Karen Russell.  First book down!  Hurrah!

I have enjoyed several of this author's works, but she also makes me wonder a bit.  Her stories are so hopefully dark.  It makes me worry a little about her mental health and her childhood.  I usually find myself wishing the stories were longer so we could better explore the world but the shortness of the stories is what makes them as creepy as they are.  The author gives just enough information to make the reader uncomfortable; more would be more satisfying in both a good way and a bad way.

Already had a few camping snafus: it was pretty breezy but I managed to get my campfire started.  But then it was too windy to stay out and enjoy it for as long as I'd like, or to roast marshmallows: the ash kept getting kicked up.  Then, I went to trade my quarters for shower tokens, and the machine only takes bills.  I'm pretty sure the machine at Dosewalips takes quarters.  So I had a bit of a wash out of a bucket.

On to book two.

No comments: