Sunday, October 21, 2007

(at a few pages a night, this is impressive.)

I've managed to get through only these few books this month. That's it, unless you want to hear about the articles we read for class.

Mr. Spaceman, by Robert Olen Butler. This book was awesome. It was funny and well written, and I appreciated how language as a concept was discussed. The main character rocks my face. I can't really talk more about it without starting to give some of the best parts away.

The All-True Travels and Adventures of Liddie Newton, by Jane Smiley. I had tried to read Greenlanders by this same author and thought it quite terrible, but this plot sounded interesting so I gave her a second chance. I did like the book, and liked the main character very much. I was disappointed in the last couple of chapters, though: it felt like the author had come to the end of all her ideas, so she just wrapped it up quickly, without too much thought. The characters are supposed to have lives after the book ends! I want them to approach being happy.

Rose Cottage, by Mary Stewart. Especially considering this book came from "the mistress of suspense romance," it sucked! I did really like the characters and thought the writing style (sentence structure and vocabulary) was very good, but was able to predict the ending pretty early in the book. This is why I don't read mysteries. What was mysterious about it?

The Fugitive Wife, by Peter C. Brown. This was pretty awesome. The characters were very realistic and the story was harsh, hard, real. At first, I thought the ending was a bit vague; I wanted more of a for-sure thing. But it was actually pretty good.

The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova. Being overwhelmed with reading for class, it took me a long time to get through this, reading about 10 minutes a night. It was an interesting organization, with so many different people telling different parts of the story, and I'm not sure all their parts were arranged in the best possible way. I would like to find out how accurate some of the supposed historical information is, but I probably will forget to do so.

There are new installments out in the Thursday Next and His Majesty's Dragon series. Someone please buy me copies.

No comments: