Thursday, May 22, 2008

Part 2.

Yeah, like the title says. Some more books I perused for the color program.
The Kettles Get New Clothes, by Dayle Ann Dodds; illustrated by Jill McElmurry. I didn't use this book, but it was hard to eliminate.
From Wax to Crayon, by Michael H. Forman. Old, and kind of boring.
What Will You Wear, Jenny Jenkins?, by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman; illustrated by Bruce Whatley. Illustrated lyrics to Garcia's song. It's not an old book, but the illustrations scream "ancient."

My Crayons Talk, by Patricia Hubbard; illustrated by G. Brian Karas. This book felt a little condescending for the age group. Fewer nonsense sounds, more words, please.

The Rainbow Fish, by Marcus Pfister. mmm, morals.

Shake My Sillies Out, by Raffi; illustrated by David Allender. (I really don't like it.)
Lemons Are Not Red, by Laura Vaccaro Seeger. (I like it a good bit, but have no reasons.)
My Many Colored Days, by Dr. Seuss; illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. 2 thumbs up.

Ranger’s Apprentice: Book Four: The Battle for Skandia, by John Flanagan. I feel that the author's style is continuing to change a bit, to continue to devolve into the realm of "I'm doing it for the money." The characters are sliding into teen fantasy stereotypes; they need more character development. Still, I'm sure the readers love it, and the plots rather good.

No comments: