Saturday, July 04, 2015

*pop*fizzle*

ah, I can't believe I failed. I even have a back-up post of old content all typed up and ready to go.  Still, half a year of keeping to my goal isn't too bad.  

Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach.  (571.0919) Another winner.  I didn't really intend to, but I read this while also re-reading The Martian for book club, and they went really well together.  Oo, what about a book club where you read a fiction and nonfiction pairing every month?  Of course, I understand two books a month is kind of a lot for some people.


Only a Promise by Mary Balogh.  The series information is depressingly repetitive.  Give your readers a little credit, Mary.  Or perhaps it's depressing that enough series followers need such a heavy reminder every time.  I'm not sure which it is, or which is worse, but I'm ready to officially quit the series after this one.

The Curiosity by Stephen P. Kiernan.  I started this one anticipating something pretty good, based on reviews.  I was figuring it would be something rather like Robert J. Sawyer's Hominids series.  It was not, or at least, not the part that I read.  This is a shining example of male authors who cannot write female main characters.  The thing that really bothered me about the way the story was structured is that the main character is telling her story in first person after the fact, after everything has happened.  Hindsight is 20/20, and the character has a vested interest in telling her story to the reader her way, explaining herself and her actions. 

No comments: