Friday, June 30, 2017

Q2 stragglers


A rising man by Abir Mukherjee.  This is nice; a mystery, but not cozy.  It has some darkness, but it's not suspense/thriller.  It has an international setting but doesn't rely on the reader have a comprehensive knowledge of the area or time period.  There is room to grow the character in the upcoming series installments, but reading further isn't necessary-- the story is nicely tied up here.
Finished on Friday, did not report on time because of camping and no wi-fi.

The edge of the empire: A journey from the heart of Rome to Hadrian's Wall by Bronwen Riley.  I made it to page 32.  I was excited about this because I was kind of fascinated with Roman Britain many years ago, but I obviously didn't make it very far: the book constantly references different places (cities and regions) around Europe and in England.  I'm not familiar with those place names and they aren't marked on the (very general) map in the front, so none of the discussion meant much to me.  Reserve for readers who know their European geography.
Picked up and then dropped on Friday, did not report on time because see above.

No comments: