Wednesday, March 21, 2018

one challenge complete

One of my goals for the year was to check off 75 challenges from my list.  I'm done.  I'm intentionally not setting a new number goal, although I'll still keep track of any more I complete.  I'm still trying for 125 total books for the year; GoodReads has snottily been reminding me that I've been behind schedule but shove it, GoodReads.

So, completed boxes:

Cover:
A book with a bird on the cover: Aru Shah and the end of time
A book cover that features nature: Warriors of the storm
A book with the moon or stars on the cover: A closed and common orbit
A book you chose without seeing the cover: The right word: Roget and his thesaurus
A book with a green cover: Acadie
A book with a red spine: The dirty book club
A book with an attractive cover: How to stop time
A book with a red cover: The fortune teller
A book with a yellow cover: Rex Libris
A book with a blue cover: The gone world
A book with a black cover: Quackery: A brief history of the worst ways to cure everything
A book with any other color combo on the cover: The librarian and the spy
A book with the character(s) on the cover: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
A book with a body of water on the cover: Us against you
A book with no people on the cover: Don't let the pigeon stay up late

Title:
A book with A in the title: Going into town: A love letter to New York
A book with a one-word title: #NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American women
A book with a two-word title: Rex Libris
A book with a subtitle: The right word: Roget and his thesaurus
A book with a title that starts with M: Mufaro's beautiful daughters
A book with a weather element in the title: Warriors of the storm
A book with a person's name in the title: Aru Shah and the end of time
A title with a species of bird or the word "bird": Don't let the pigeon stay up late

Author:
An author who is an immigrant: The moon in the palace
A book by two authors: Quackery: A brief history of the worst ways to cure everything
Your favorite author: Us against you
A book by or about someone from an indigenous culture: #NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American women
A male author of color: Mufaro's beautiful daughters
A female author under 30: Aru Shah and the end of time
An author with your same initials: The librarian and the spy
A book by an #ownvoices or #diversebooks author: If I was your girl
An author from a country you've never visited: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
An author of a different ethnicity than you: Bad news for outlaws: The remarkable life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U.S. Marshal

Awards:
A Caldecott Medal winner or honor book: The right word: Roget and his thesaurus
A Coretta Scott King Award or runner up: Bad news for outlaws: The remarkable life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U.S. Marshal
A RITA Award winner: The moon in the palace
A Stonewall Award winner: If I was your girl

Genre:
A book from a genre you normally dislike: A covert affair
A book in a series: The moon in the palace
A book from a speculative fiction subgenre: Warriors of the storm
A nonfiction book: Quackery: A brief history of the worst ways to cure everything
A stand-alone book: The fortune teller
A stand-alone novel: [apparently I have this on here twice; I'll have to make a substitution] If I was your girl
A women's fiction novel: The dirty book club
A work of Literary Fiction: Us against you

Publication:
A book published before 2000: Warriors of the storm
A book published 2000-2016: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
A book published in 2017: The fortune teller
A book published this year: The gone world
A debut novel: The moon in the palace
A book in translation: Us against you
A book targeted at your gender: A covert affair
A book published by an indie press: #NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American women
A novella: Acadie

Characters:
The protagonist is a loner, outcast, recluse, or introvert: The gone world
The protagonist is a Person of Color of Bi/Multiracial: Aru Shah and the end of time
The protagonist is a writer: The dirty book club
A book in which all POV characters are POC: The moon in the palace
The protagonist is Trans: If I was your girl
A book with aliens: A closed and common orbit
A book with an eccentric character: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
A book with an unreliable narrator or ambiguous ending: Acadie
A book with nonhuman characters: Warriors of the storm

Setting:
A book set during a competition: Us against you
A book set in another state: If I was your girl
A book set in Africa: Mufaro's beautiful daughters
A book set in Asia: A covert affair
A book set in Europe: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
A book set in North America: The dirty book club
A book set in the future: Acadie
A book set in two different time periods: The gone world
A book set on a different planet: Warriors of the storm
A book set more than 5,000 miles from your home: The moon in the palace

Story Element:
A book about science: Quackery: A brief history of the worst ways to cure everything
A book based on a true story: The moon in the palace
A book based on diverse folklore/mythology: Aru Shah and the end of time
A book involving sexuality and gender identity: If I was your girl
A book of any genre that addresses current events: #NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American women
A book that involves a bookstore or library: A covert affair
A book with a love triangle: The dirty book club
A book involving family relationships: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry

Other:
A back-list book from a favorite author: My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry
A book recommended by a librarian: The librarian and the spy
A book that you would consider a guilty pleasure: The dirty book club
A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to: #NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American women
An out-of-print book: Warriors of the storm
A book that has been on your TBR list for 2+ years [this category was subbed in for "A book you started but never finished," which appears twice]: Rex Libris

By my count that's 86 (87, counting the doubled-up stand-alone novel).  Well done, me.

No comments: